SUGGESTED INSTRUCTIONAL STRATEGIES
• Challenge students to design real estate
advertisements to attract settlers to New France.
Encourage them to consider what features would
attract prospective settlers. (models of immigration advertisements)
SUGGESTED ASSESSMENT STRATEGIES
• As students design real estate advertisements to attract settlers to New France, note the extent to which their advertisements:
- are based on accurate information about physical and social factors in New France
- make accurate references to major events and routes of the time
- offer persuasions that reflect the wants and needs of the time
New France: New Horizons (primary sources, interactive)
The exhibition describes the adventure of New France, from the first voyages of discovery, to the end of the French Regime. It is comprised of 350 archival documents arranged under 12 themes. The manuscripts, printed material, maps and charts, plans, portraits, engravings, and medals have been chosen for their visual and illustrative quality, their emotional impact, and their relevance.