It is expected that students will:
SUGGESTED INSTRUCTIONAL STRATEGIES
• Challenge students to research and present information that addresses the questions: What impact did monopoly and competition in the fur trade have on exploration and settlement of the west? How were Aboriginal people affected?
SUGGESTED ASSESSMENT STRATEGIES
• Develop criteria for students’ presentations on the
effects of monopoly and competition in the fur trade.
For example, to what extent are students able to:
- clearly define relevant economic terms (e.g.,
- offer accurate examples of monopoly and
competition in the fur trade
- provide evidence from credible sources about the effect of each on exploration and settlement and on Aboriginal people
- draw conclusions about the overall impact of the economic practices of the fur trade on Canadian society
Fur Trade and Mission History (Alberta)