• Read more from the source of this quote
INTRODUCTION: You will be assigned to a group that will research one of the following goals and report back to the class.
MILLENNIUM DEVELOPMENT GOALS
- End Poverty and Hunger
- Universal Education
- Environmental Sustainability
- Global Partnership
A Skim your handout/ read the site to get a basic understanding of your goal.
B List some of the key search words that will be useful in looking for more information.
C Go into the EBSCO student database (e-mail teacher-librarian for home password)
You are looking for articles about specific people and events that are taking place NOW (not older than one year). After all, these are URGENT issues of life and death to the people living in poverty all over the world.
D Search the database for 3-4 articles that will be useful in presenting to the class. You need to answer the following questions in your PRESENTATION:
- What is the millennium goal?
- Where in the world is it most urgent that this goal be achieved? Give some examples.
- Give some powerful examples of Canadians (individuals or organizations such as: NGO’s, faith-based) working to achieve the goal. (Who, what, where, how, why)
- What do you think are some hopeful solutions for solving the problems of suffering all over the world, specific to your goal? What can people like you and like-minded people do to pressure our Canadian government to contribute our fair share to achieve the Millennium Goals. Your original ideas are most welcome here.
E CLASS FOLLOWUP: Be prepared to explain how the problems described in your goal, in combination with the 7 others, contributes to the world cycle of poverty.