Your group will be given a package of primary and secondary source evidence. Your assignment is to analyze one of the following horrific historic events.
You will deliver a teaching presentation to the class which must include:
- A brief overview of the event
- Your analysis of the event and why it fits the criterion of a), b), or c).
- Your arguments and a display of the evidence that made you come to your conclusions
- Rape of Nanking and the Kwantung Army
- Bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and Truman
- Holocaust and the Nazi SS
- Bombing of Dresden by Churchill
- Treatment of POWs (various perpetrators)
- Conditions on the Front (various perpetrators)
- Fire Bombing of Tokyo by Truman
- Ghettoization of Jews by the Nazis
- Siege of Leningrad and the Wehrmacht
(a) Crimes against Peace/ Conspiracy to wage war: namely, planning, preparation, initiation or waging of a war of aggression, or a war in violation of international treaties, agreements or assurances, or participation in a Common Plan or Conspiracy for the accomplishment of any of the foregoing;
(b) War Crimes: namely, violations of the laws or customs of war. Such violations shall include, but not be limited to, murder, ill-treatment or deportation to slave labor or for any other purpose of civilian population of or in occupied territory, murder or ill-treatment of prisoners of war or persons on the seas, killing of hostages, plunder of public or private property, wanton destruction of cities, towns, or villages, or devastation not justified by military necessity;
(c) Crimes against Humanity: namely, murder, extermination, enslavement, deportation, and other inhumane acts committed against any civilian population, before or during the war,or persecutions on political, racial, or religious grounds in execution of or in connection with any crime within the jurisdiction of the Tribunal, whether or not in violation of domestic law of the country where perpetrated.
Leaders, organizers, instigators, and accomplices participating in the formulation or execution of a Common Plan or Conspiracy to commit any of the foregoing crimes are responsible for all acts performed by any persons in execution of such plan.
HERE ARE SOME MODERN EXAMPLES